"Say cheese" with a whiter, brighter smile! Apple Dental Care in Edmonton offers a variety of teeth whitening services for our patients who are looking to revive dull and discoloured teeth.
Teeth Whitening at Apple Dental Care
Are you happy with your smile or has it lost its sparkle? Teeth are naturally white but can be frequently discoloured by various staining agents such as:
- Food and Drinks: Food and drinks can stain your teeth. Citrus and acidic foods, berries, coffee, tea, red wine and soft drinks are responsible for staining and discolouring teeth. These items contain a colour pigment called chromogens that attach to your teeth, overlaying its natural white colour.
- Tobacco Use: Two chemicals in tobacco, tar and nicotine are staining agents. Tar is naturally dark, while nicotine is colourless, but when mixed with oxygen, it turns into a yellowish staining agent.
- Age: As you age, so do your teeth. The hard outer shell of your tooth, called enamel, is what gives your tooth a white colour. However, over time, the enamel grows thinner and the inner layer of the tooth, called dentin, starts showing. Dentin has a yellowish colour.
- Injury: If your tooth has been injured, it can acquire a yellowish colour. This occurs in cases of tooth cracks, chips or breaks. When an injury occurs, more dentin is added to the tooth to heal the injury, which has a yellow colour quality to it.
- Medications: Medications such as antihistamines, antipsychotics and blood pressure medications have a side-effect of yellowing teeth.
Teeth Whitening Options
At Apple Dental Care in Edmonton, we assess the condition of your teeth and accordingly recommend the best course of action for you.
Also known as chair-side whitening, this form of teeth whitening can be done in a single dental visit. Our dentist will apply a gel or rubber shield to protect your gum, then Philips Zoom whitening treatment is applied to the teeth.
We recommend the Philips Zoom line of teeth whitening systems for home use. These systems use either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide to whiten tooth enamel. We will provide you with detailed instructions on how to use these simple whitening systems.
Are there any side effects with teeth whitening?
There are usually no side effects with teeth whitening. At the most, you may experience tooth sensitivity.