Smile wide with fluoride! At Apple Dental Care, our family dentists provide our Edmonton patients fluoride treatments to help with the prevention of tooth decay – making the tooth more resistant to acid attacks from plaque, bacteria, and sugars in the mouth.
What is fluoride treatment?
Fluoride is a mineral with similar benefits to those of calcium. It is an integral part of the tooth’s enamel and protects teeth from decay.
Fluoride treatment is the method of replenishing the fluoride concentration of your teeth to protect them from tooth decay. The body loses fluoride every day and needs to increase intake to ensure that there is an appropriate balance.
Types of Fluoride Treatments
- Topical Treatment: topical fluoride treatments can be given in the form of gels, foams, sprays, or varnishes.
- Oral Treatment: fluoride supplements (available in liquid and syrup form) and capsules or tablets can be taken orally.
Benefits of Fluoride for Children
- Aids in the development of the teeth by strengthening the enamel.
- Plays an important part in the development of permanent teeth by making them impenetrable by acids, thus preventing their demineralization.
- It acts as a shield for the teeth by protecting it from acid attacks caused by acidic and sugary foods.
- Reverses early signs of tooth decay.
Benefits for Adults
- Prevents tooth decay.
- Prevents the demineralization of the teeth by disrupting the acid production.
When do you need fluoride treatment?
Fluoride treatments are great for adults who wish to fight tooth decay and maintain strong and healthy teeth.
There are some patients who are at higher risk of tooth decay due to certain conditions which cause excessive fluoride loss. These conditions are:
Those suffering from dry mouth due to disease or use of medications require fluoride treatment to fight tooth decay as the absence of saliva increases. Lack of saliva means food debris does not get washed away and chances of demineralization are higher.
Gum recession exposes more of the teeth and puts them at a higher risk of getting demineralized.
If your teeth are prone to frequent cavities, a fluoride treatment will benefit you by strengthening your tooth enamel and fighting off tooth decay from within the tooth.
Consumption of Sweets
Those who consume sweet foods and drinks frequently are also more susceptible to tooth decay, thus fluoride treatment is an important step to preventing cavities.