Missing a tooth? Apple Dental Care in Edmonton provides dental implants as a restorative alternative for anyone that is looking to restore the aesthetic look and functionality of their smile, in addition to repairing and improving their facial structure.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is an artificial post made of titanium metal that serves as a substitute for the root of a missing tooth. The top of the post is attached to an artificial tooth (crown), resulting in a beautiful natural-looking replacement tooth.
The Importance of Treating Tooth Loss
The importance of treating tooth loss cannot be underestimated. Aside from the obvious concern of feeling self-conscious about the gap in your smile, you may also experience difficulty chewing and speaking. Missing teeth can lead to other oral health problems as well, such as gum disease, tooth decay and further tooth loss. Systemic health problems may also arise.
Who is a good candidate for this procedure?
You may be a great candidate for dental implants if you have the following:
- Good general health
- Healthy gums
- Enough bone in the jaw to hold an implant
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants provide a number of dental benefits including:
- Improved appearance: dental implants look and feel like your own teeth.
- Improved speech: dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might shift out of position.
- Easier eating: dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favourite foods easily and freely.
- Improved oral health: dental implants do not require alteration of neighbouring teeth. Your natural teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health.
- Durability: dental implants are durable and can last a long time with proper care.